The Football Supporters’ Federation supports the work of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Football Supporters .
- If you are a Member of Parliament / House of Lords and wish to find out more about the APPG email email@example.com or call Michael on 0330 44 000 44.
The cross-party group is chaired by Ian Mearns MP (Labour), a season ticket holder at St James’ Park, and aims to strengthen the voice of football fans in Parliament. The FSF will provide secretariat duties for the group which aims "to represent the interests of match-going football fans and to support the aims and objectives of the Football Supporters' Federation".
Last meeting: What is the future of lower league football?
What is the future of lower league football? was jointly hosted by The APPG for Football Supporters and the All-Party Parliamentary Football Group on Wednesday 9th January 2019 (5pm) in Committee Room 17.
Accrington Stanley owner Andy Holt spelled out the challenges facing lower league clubs at a time when teams at the top of the sport have more money than ever before.
Andy said owners are expected to fund the game’s losses and claims the football authorities aren’t doing enough to fix the problem. Is it possible to run a competitive EFL club in the black?
Andy believes the EFL’s streaming service iFollow is potentially damaging to smaller clubs and encourages fans to turn their backs on the live game.
Most clubs have more in common with Accrington Stanley than a Champions League giant, and Andy wants to find a way forward which is fan-friendly and financially viable.
APPG AGM minutes (Wednesday 9th January 2019)
The meeting was also the APPG for Football Supporters AGM and members re-elected all group officers to the same posts (below). Group chair Ian Mearns MP proposed that, in conjunction with All-Party Parliamentary Football Group, both groups would invite leaders from the football industry to discuss football finance at a future APPG meeting. This was agreed.
Attendees: Adrian Bailey MP, Alex Norris MP, Baroness Harris of Richmond, Chi Onwurah MP, Chris Matheson MP, David Drew MP, Gordon Marsden MP, Graham Jones MP, Ian Mearns MP, Jo Stevens MP, Justin Madders MP, Justin Tomlinson MP, Lord Faulkner of Worcester, Lord Pendry, Nigel Mills MP, Toby Perkins MP
- Chair: Ian Mearns MP (Labour)
- Vice Chair: Ian Blackford MP (Scottish National Party)
- Vice Chair: Damian Collins MP (Conservative)
- Secretary: Gavin Newlands MP (Scottish National Party)
- Treasurer: Jo Stevens MP (Labour)
Other group members:
- Alan Brown MP (Scottish National Party)
- Alex Norris MP (Labour)
- Anna Turley MP (Labour)
- Bill Esterson MP (Labour)
- Chi Onwurah MP (Labour)
- Chris Matheson MP (Labour)
- Clive Betts MP (Labour)
- Clive Efford MP (Labour)
- Chris Green MP (Conservative)
- Chris Stephens MP (Scottish National Party)
- Damian Green MP (Conservative)
- Dan Carden MP (Labour)
- Dawn Butler MP (Labour)
- Gareth Thomas MP (Labour)
- Gavin Newlands MP (Scottish National Party)
- Gordon Marsden MP (Labour)
- Graham Jones MP (Labour)
- Grahame Morris MP (Labour)
- Ian Lavery MP (Labour)
- Ian Lucas MP (Labour)
- Ian Murray MP (Labour)
- Jeff Smith MP (Labour)
- Jim Fitzpatrick MP (Labour)
- John Grogan MP (Labour)
- Jonathan Reynolds MP (Labour)
- Justin Madders MP (Labour)
- Justin Tomlinson MP (Conservative)
- Laura Pidcock MP (Labour)
- Lord Collins (Labour)
- Lord Faulkner (Labour)
- Lord Pendry (Labour)
- Lord Triesman (Labour)
- Mark Menzies MP (Conservative)
- Matt Western MP (Labour)
- Mike Gapes MP (Labour)'
- Nic Dakin MP (Labour)
- Rosie Cooper MP (Labour)
- Paul Williams MP (Labour)
- Sharon Hodgson MP (Labour)
- Stephen Hepburn MP (Labour)
- Stephen Morgan MP (Labour)
- Toby Perkins MP (Labour)
- Tom Elliot MP (Ulster Unionist Party)
If you have any further queries, or you are an MP who would like to join the group, email firstname.lastname@example.org - please use the header "APPG".
Thanks to Robert Sharpe for the image used in this article. Reproduced here under CC licence.