Supporter representatives on the FA Council have contacted the FA chairman over the apparent lack of consultation on the introduction of a winter break.
On Tuesday, a major news outlet (£) reported that a winter break would be introduced in English football for the first time after the FA, English Football League and Premier League seemingly reached an agreement.
The annual two week winter break is said to be due to start in February 2021, meaning the FA Cup 5th round would be played midweek with league matches staggered over two weekends. In the FSF's National Survey 2017 50.1% of fans were against a winter break, with 34.6% in favour - even if this meant retaining Christmas and New Year fixtures.
Supporter representatives on the FA Council, FSF chair Malcolm Clarke and Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust co-chair Katrina Law, have requested a briefing from FA Chairman Greg Clarke.
“We are seeking clarification from the FA about exactly what, if anything, has so far been agreed,” Malcolm said. “And we know supporters will have views on the winter break, the further loss of replays, and playing 5th round ties mid-week - these must be considered.”
The FA had given previous assurances that it would seek supporter input on a number of key issues - including fixture congestion and a winter break.
“We would like to see full consultation with supporters on all these issues before any decisions are made, as we want to see for all major decisions in football,” Malcolm said.